Seasonal Parent Meeting
As you all know by now, our annual All Sports All Seasons Parent Meeting has been modified due to regulations for indoor meetings. We will miss the opportunity to get to catch up with you all a bit, share information, and answer questions. If your student will be participating in THS Athletics here are things you need to know.
You will find the latest information from NCHSAA on our website here or in the Pirate Post. Return to play protocols have been shared with coaches. Please be assured that we are committed to following best practices for keeping us all safe and are committed to playing and participating to the extent the Governor's phases permit.
The following was shared with our Winter/Spring coaches:
- Each athlete should have a mask for practices and games.
- Masks have to be worn up covering mouth and nose at all time during games.
- Each Athlete to provide their own source of water for practices and games.
- All essential personnel (cheer squad, coaches,ball boys,film,book keepers) must wear a mask at games. All players not in the game must wear a mask.
- Parents will be screening their athlete at home. If any player exhibits and cold or flu-like symptoms, including a fever greater than 99.5, coaches will send them home and report it to the AD.
- Coaches are asked to allow for mask breaks at any point during practice when a player has trouble breathing.
- Do not expect locker rooms when we travel..arrive dressed to play.
- If there is a suspected COVID-19 case during a contest or practice, each athletic facility has a designated quarantine site.
- There will likely be positive Covid cases. Keep everyone in your program calm, do not allow rumors and follow the process.
- If any athlete will seek a mask exemption, the nchsaa "authorization for an exemption to mandatory mask exemption" form should be completed by your physician and returned to the AD.
- Before an athlete returns from a covid infection, the nchsaa "return to play" form must be completed by a physician at the end of quarantine and turned in to the AD.
Contact the Athletic Director immediately if you hear of any positive cases in your program. Names of those who are Covid-19 positive are protected information and may only be shared with school administration and health officials-even if family is public about it.
Pre Participation Paperwork
Athletic paperwork is now to be completed online at Planet High School. Parents and students are to create separate accounts which will be linked together. Complete each online form which have to be electronically signed or initialed by both athlete and parent. If you have a current physical on file, the athletic director will upload it manually. If anyone has technical trouble with the site, athletes should alert a coach or stop in the AD's office for assistance.
Game Day Procedure
307 Spectators are allowed to outdoor events in the stadium. Capacity limits are still to be determined for Softball and Tennis.
Concession stands will be open and operated by the athletic boosters.
Topsail HS will not have a JV Softball team this season due to the impact of certain covid restrictions.
Athletics will be following the direct policies for bus riding. If an athlete becomes symptomatic during a road trip, a parent or guardian will be called to come to get them from the opposing teams quarantine site. One person per seat rule applies to away travel. Permission slips are available if a parent wants to provide transportation to an away trip but must be approved by the principal one day prior.
Please use this website for all the most current competition schedule information. Coach contact information, athletic handbook, field directions, text and email alerts are just a few examples of the information found on our athletics website.
Game tickets are now being sold on the Go Fan website.
Parents of the Football team, Band and Cheer will have receive the link one day before the game and will be allowed to purchase 2 tickets. At noon the day of the game, any tickets not sold will be available for anyone to purchase.
The Go Fan link which will be open to the public one day before the match.
The Go Fan Link will be shared with parents of athletes a day before the game The number of tickets available will be determined once an official capacity has been determined. Ticket link will be available for the public at noon on game day.
The Go Fan link will ne shared with the public one day before the game.
The NCHSAA mandatory requirement to pass a minimum course load (3) the prior semester must be met. Pender County has a more restrictive requirement which is to pass 3 with a 2.0 GPA or 70 overall. If an athlete satisfies the state requirement but fall short of the county requirement a 1 time academic contract can be offered can be offered. The contract outlines a plan which the athlete is to follow such as tutoring, designed to get them back on track. Grades will be monitored bi-weekly until improvement is shown. If current semester grades remain below the county level beyond a reasonable amount of time, the athlete will become an inactive part of the team.
All parents must watch the videos on this link in order to play sports. The handbook is there too.
I personally look forward to seeing our Fall athletes doing what they love once more. Let us set the example for the following seasons of how to conquer Covid by being safe and following protocols so we make it to the end.
If you have any questions, please email me. Pirate Nation Forever!!!!
Charles Kornegay Jr